Monday, September 27, 2010

Big Weekend!

Jared and I spent a fabulous weekend celebrating our 5th Anniversary at a resort here in San Antonio. My parents came and watched the boys for us so we could relax. There just isn't a better gift than that. I will admit to missing the boys desperately by the time we got home early Monday morning, but it was a nice break.



For all the people who have been calling and been so thoughtful to us: Thursday morning I woke up with severe chest pains. I couldn't breathe so Jared called 911 and I was taken to the hospital by ambulance. And since I didn't die of the chest pains, or the embarrassment of leaving my close little quiet neighborhood in my super flattering pajamas strapped to a gurney with the ambulance all loud and lights blazing, I figure I can survive anything. The doctors in the ER were understandably nervous considering my history of open heart surgery and so decided to keep me overnight for observation. (It was at this point that I had an epiphany. Always keep your phone charged. Always keep a copy of your insurance in your purse. Know where your purse is. Know where your phone is in case you need to call 911. Buy cuter pajamas.) So Thursday night I stayed at the hospital and my parents just came down a day early so Jared could make it to school Friday. I was released Friday after some more testing and they found I had a viral infection in my heart. Symptoms can present like a heart attack - which seemed to be my situation.

Although this is long it is the short version and ultimately I'm fine. Doctors said to take it easy which I did all weekend! And I had a blast! So thank you everyone for your phone calls and your offers to help. You're wonderful.

Another explanation to clarify an earlier post: Jared decided to specialize and become a periodontist. (Mostly dental surgeries that involve the gums, bone grafting, and implants. Gross. But inexplicably, he loves it...) We had a whirlwind summer doing applications and then quickly making plans to interview all over the country. One of Jared's top choices was Nebraska, and as soon as he got into Lincoln he called me to tell me he already loved it. He interviewed and loved the program there. We had some previous offers and we were lucky enough to get another offer there before the day was over, and accepted about that fast. We felt so good we knew it was right.

Sooooo.... that means that I need to be done with school sooner than we originally thought. I'm taking 18 credits this semester, 18 credits next semester, 3 credits over Christmas in Phoenix, and I'll be ready to take the bar this summer. Jared and I will both graduate in May 2011. Whew. What a year it's going to be! I'm so excited. It just feels like a fun challenge.

3 comments:

Danica said...

Oh wow! I'm glad you're okay, and lol about the ugly pjs and gurney thing! Good luck with the crazy year ahead and yay for the stress of applying to residencies being over! Happy anniversary too. :)

Kelsey said...

Scary! What a relief that you're okay. Just think, if they would've had to cut your jammies off you, you wouldn't have missed them afterward. Really you were more prepared than you thought. Still scary though. But the pictures from the getaway are totally charming! You guys look great! Sending our love.

Lori said...

I can't believe I forgot to make a comment on this post... We're so happy and relieved that you're okay, Mikail. Whew! You're such a rock. And there's NOTHING like rocking on that porch in the evening, is there? That trip was our very favorite; I think because it was so relaxing and beautiful--oh, and the Texas cuisine was fabulous! Congratulations on your anniversary, you two little love birds! Here's to many, many more wonderful years together. We love all of you.